Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Writing Down the Bones: 1/21/15

So I ordered "Writing Down the Bones" from the schools' bookstore on the first day of class -- and it still has yet to come in! I printed the .pdf document, and I was surprised to find myself actually disappointed that it was only pages 1-41. I love to read, but I only like to read things that peak my interest. That being said, school textbooks don't peak my interest. Even though I took accelerated English classes in high school, I always had a really difficult issue with actually taking the time to read the books they assigned me.

I read the first page of the book, I became interested nearly instantaneously. It caught my attention mostly because of the style in which in was written. While reading, you nearly feel as if you are having a conversation with Goldberg herself. There were a lot of quotes in the first forty pages I read that really stood out to me:

"Like grating a carrot, give the paper the colorful coleslaw of your consciousness."
"To do writing practice means to deal ultimately with your whole life."
"There was no great answer outside ourselves to get us an A in school anymore."

I enjoyed how the separations of the paragraphs were indicated by changes in subject. It made for a very quick and concise read if need be. I felt myself able to relate to her in multiple situations, scenarios and theories: just based off of her descriptive context alone.

I really have not stopped thinking about writing since I read pages 1-41. It's something that I think I may decide to get into: I feel as if my life is very chaotic and that writing would may help filter out some of the things I may need to let go of. I may try the notebook challenge that was mentioned: filling out one spiral notebook a month of thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment