Sunday, January 11, 2015

Poetry Packet (pg 1-11)

Today I read the first eleven pages of the Poetry Packet we received in class last week. There were a lot of poems that I enjoyed the style in which they were written but I didn't quite understand the meanings of them. I love being able to read and visualize a scenario in my mind or feel a certain feeling, so I enjoy the use of literary devices within writing. The first poem in the packet ("Geology of Water" by Reginald Shepherd) I thought had an exceptional use of language. I loved the description of "blind indigo" and the visual of "plates shifting" to "nudge the continents apart". I also loved the visual provided by the sentence "and drown knee-deep in air".

I absolutely loved the poem "The Scent of Verbena" by Hinako Abe: everything from the style of the poem itself to the style of writing and the tone that was set. This poem instantly wrapped me in from the opening sentence. Without any punctuation, it creates a sense of urgency while you're reading it. If you read it in your head, does anyone else notice themselves feeling as if they were listening to somebody verbally tell them a story? While reading, I felt a tremendous amount of empathy as if I was reading a local news article.

Shakespeare Sonnet 129 is another article that interested me: in particular, I loved the line "Th'expense of spirit in a waste of shame is lust in action; and till action, lust is perjured, murd'rous, bloody, full of blame. Savage, extreme, rude, cruel, not to trust:..." I really wish I could interpret this poem a little easier. From my perspective, I view this poem as discussing that not acting on lust is a miserable state of mind. It may just be due to a current personal situation, but when I read this poem I interpreted it as saying that men manipulate the concept of lust to benefit themselves, but in the end it backfires. My favorite sentence was the closing line: "All this world well knows; yet none knows well To shun the heaven that leads men to this hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment